Saturday, January 14, 2012

Daraga, Albay

Only about 15-minute ride from Legaspi airport (Albay province), the Daraga Church is a nice place to visit. This was built by the Franciscan missionaries in 1773 in honor of the patron saint of Nuestra Senora dela Porteria. After the church in nearby Cagsawa was completely engulfed by molten lava during the eruption of Mayon volcano in 1814, the people flocked to this church to practice their faith. During the 2nd World War, the Japanese Army used the church as their headquarters, making it a military target leading to its destruction during the war.  From 1971-1973, the church was rebuilt and restored to its former glory. 



I visited this place at around 10:00am and I was greeted by the sight of Mt Mayon (Daragang Magayon). Armed with my Nikon D90, I captured some excellent images that I treasure until today.









No comments:

Post a Comment